px-r-F5cPQX9ZxUrwgORsMGDGwU Kuhnesiology: Beginnings...

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Beginnings...

This being my first blog, I thought I'd take just a little time to lay the foundation for what I hope to accomplish with this specific mode of expression.  First, I humbly admit that I do not know everything.  Though I often joke about being able to fix anyone with any specific athletic or movement pattern discrepancy, the fact is I am still learning.  I hope to be a leader in the field of strength and conditioning as well as corrective exercise, and I genuinely believe this can only come about as a result of a hunger and drive to avoid "academic" complacency.  Second, I do not want this to be a platform to berate or belittle aspects of the industry I don't agree with.  Though no point of view can be entirely unbiased, I hope to present what I believe to be facts or principles based on 2 specific sources:   Legitimate research, and experience I have gained on my own or while working with individuals I know to be credible sources of "physiological" wisdom.  That being said, I do not wish to argue back and forth over specific topics.  I will guarantee that if you think I am incorrect in my view of something, and you gracefully and appropriately tell me so, I will do my best to listen and then dive into the research and literature to better understand it.  So...I hope that is adequate.  Here we go.

The first topic I'd like to discuss is one of the major themes that continually moves around in my brain both while I train and while I prepare to develop training for a client.  It is this:  What must I do to advance this person towards "athletic wholeness"?

This was not always the case.  When I was exposed to "functional" training by authors such as Mike Boyle, Mark Verstegen, and Gray Cook, I really only paid attention to the "sport-specific" movements and patterns that are associated with each sport or activity discussed.  I now regret not paying more attention to the holistic approach to training each of these authors provided.  The assumption I made at that time was that as long as I replicated the "sport-specific" movements (let's say unilateral triple extension necessary for running) in the weight room (let's say with a rear elevated split squat), then I was adequately and appropriately training my client to excel at his or her sport.

(Please keep in mind, most of my examples will deal with running, because it ranks the highest on the list of sports I am passionate about.)

Anyway...if this idea were all that is necessary for successful training, there would be no real need for formal education once one "earned" a weekend personal training certification... and just about anyone could be considered an "expert".  Thank goodness I was incorrect in this early assumption.

I now know that in order maximize athletic potential, especially that of a runner, I must do more to "balance" him or her before I can strengthen and improve the movement patterns their sport demands of them.  So...even though strengthening unilateral triple extension...or even bilateral triple extension...to improve running stride length and frequency...I first have to, for example, improve hip extension range of motion, lateral movements and abduction/adduction roles, and "correct" huge discrepancies with the entire posterior chain (specifically the hamstrings and glutes) before "sport-specific" training is even beneficial.  The theory being...the more physiologically "balanced" an individual...the greater overall athletic potential, and thus a bigger window for adaptation and improvement with a simultaneous smaller window of injury risk.  



I think I'll wrap things up there.  So much of this topic has not been discussed, but I am eager to hear some feedback.  


Thanks for reading!


KRK
  


                     

2 comments:

  1. I like the topic of your first discussion, it allows room to segway into other topics very nicely. I was, however, wondering what things you are doing to test your clients or athletes to ensure that you are attempting to correct as many movement discrepancies as you can? Are you performing a functional movement screening test on all of your clients? Do most of your clients come to you with specific goals, or are you developing goals with your clients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful question, Ian. I do perform the Functional Movement Screen for almost everyone I train (there are a few clients who either cannot perform the screen, or I know would fail every test, so I opt out of using it on them until I think it is practical). Along with a few other "tests" and "screens" I've learned from some extra athletic training classes and some experience in the rehab setting, the FMS provides a very practical baseline to decipher major gross motor issues. I also pay very close attention to form/posture/facial expression during our movement and dynamic warm-up. Since the dynamic warm-up I use replicates "athletic" movements, it is actually useful at revealing most movement issues. It also stresses balance, an aspect of training I feel is too often overlooked. My pro runners actually get an evaluation by a PT/ATC every preseason which is relatively helpful for some baseline measures.
    Once the issue is found, it is important to re-evaluate (re-testing using the FMS)often to ensure that the specific problem is being corrected.
    As far as goal setting goes, most clients come to me to "improve performance" or because they have an issue they know needs addressed, so there is at least some pre-existing goal. There are some clients who don't know how much "correcting" they need until after my assessment and initial screening. In either case, I do my best to work with my clients to develop new and appropriate training goals. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete